So I had a bit of free time on my hands this past week, and wanted to take a crack at putting together a widescreen patch for this game since han has been kind enough to put together all the tools needed to export the source code and resources from the game's .u files.
It's a bit rough at the moment, because the menu layout code is written in an odd way that draws everything at 640x480 and then scales up, and running at higher resolutions exposes a lot of poor text layout coding (i.e. text being significantly mis-aligned) that wasn't as apparent at low resolutions, but it does work and let you enjoy the game properly on modern computers.
In-game wizard card menu:
In-game (this looks the same without the patch, but menu cropping more-or-less forced you to play in 4:3):
- On screens with a 16:9 resolution, if you move the cursor all the way to the right of the screen, you'll get a flickering ghost of the cursor in the farthest-right column of pixels. I have tried various different things to fix this, but it seems that the only thing that could actually fix it would be to rewrite a large chunk of the menu layout code, which I don't think is worth the time investment.
- If you switch aspect ratios in-game (e.g switch from 1280x800 to 1024x768), you'll need to restart the game for menus to not be mis-aligned.
- Widescreen resolutions are not yet shown in the in-game options menu, so you'll need to set your resolution manually in your HP.ini file as described here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Harry_Pot ... %27s_Stone. You'll also probably want to change your FOV to fit your new resolution in the game's User.ini file, under Engine.PlayerPawn (about 100 for 16:10, about 106 for 16:9).
- Lots of text is mis-aligned at higher resolutions. This is a bug in the original game and not the patch itself, but it's something I hope to eventually fix the worst of.
First, install han's update HP.exe from the topmost "Precompiled Binaries" download in this thread: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1445541914. It fixes a lot of the weird glitches that the game has on newer systems, like the drawing the shapes of spells to learn them being horrendously broken, and dialogue getting cut off because the game is running too fast.
Next, download the widescreen fix here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xa5b5pkib ... %20Fix.zip, and copy the two .u files in the System folder to the game's System folder. On a default install of the game, this should be at C:\Program Files\EA Games\Harry Potter\System\. You should probably also make a backup of the original HPMenu.u and HPBase.u files first, in case my fix accidentally breaks some part of the game I haven't tested yet.
Finally, edit the game's HP.ini and User.ini files in your user's Documents\Harry Potter folder to indicate your chosen resolution and FOV, and launch the game. Yay, it (hopefully) works!
I haven't tested this extensively so there are probably several things that still need fixing, so let me know and I'll try to fix them as best I can (if anyone has a copy of the Unreal Engine 1 unrealscript documentation please let me know, that would help my efforts massively). Also, I've tracked all the changes I made to the source files with Git, so I can send that to anyone who wants to see what I actually changed (I'd put it up on GitHub, but I'm not sure how EA would feel about that).
Anyway, enjoy, and let me know how it works!